Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My Da Vinci Code Boycott





Many people have argued that boycotting a movie is futile. They have short memories. The Last Temptation of Christ was another Hollywood attack on Christ, but it was a box office bomb because of a well organized boycott... and it was a sorry movie too.

This movie is based on a book that is fictional, but claims to be based on real history... though no real historian supports it's ridiculous thesis. As Pat Buchanan pointed out, making this movie is analogous to making a movie that claims that the Jews are plotting to take over the world, based on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Based on the early reviews of the Da Vinci code, this may well turn out to be a bomb, even without a boycott, but regardless of what anyone else does, here's what I'm going to do:

1) Any theatre that runs the Da Vinci Code is not going to see my money for three years. The Prophet Elijah taught Ahab a lesson by praying that it would not rain for three years, and so that seems like a good time-frame for an economic drought.

I realize that this may mean that I won't have a theatre to go to for the next three years. One could suffer far worse things.

However, a dispensation may have to be granted for Mel Gibson movies during this period of time.

2) I will also boycott all Sony Pictures movies for the next three years.

3) Tom Hanks and Ron Howard are never going to see my money again, unless they show signs of sincere remorse for this attack on my faith. I hate to do this, because I have generally liked the work of both of these guys, but Aunt Bee's curse be upon them both, until they say they're sorry.





4) Sir Ian McKellen is on my dirty dog list for good, for his comments today... barring a really sincere apology... but that's a tricky one, because he's such a good actor, how would you know? And to think I had nominated him to be the next Dumbledore.

The bottom line here is this: Hollywood has no respect for our faith, or for us, but they do pay attention when it comes to money, and so I say hit 'em where it hurts. If you look down on people of faith, keep it to yourself, if you expect us to continue to patronize your work.