Wednesday, February 23, 2005

From Campus Crusade to Orthodox Priest



Fr. Peter Gillquist



Fr. Peter Gillquist was recently in Texas, and gave a talk about his conversion that was reported on in the North Texas Daily.

You can read more about him here.

You can read a lot more about it by reading this book:



Becoming Orthodox, Fr. Peter Gillquist


This was the second book I read about Orthodoxy, and it helped me a great deal down the road towards entering the Orthodox Church. The story of a group of people who started off with Campus Crusade for Christ, tried to reinvent the early Church, and finally ended up joining the real thing was a facinating story that I heard tell of long before I was interested in Orthodoxy. At first it struck me as simply interesting, in an odd sense.

I got my copy of this book from Fr. Anthony Nelson, whom I met at a pro-life rally. The first time I saw him, with his long robe, long beard, pectoral cross, and skufia, I said to my wife with a chuckle... "Can you imagine me dressed like that?" Little did I know at the time....